Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Between You and Me

I've been a lot of places in my life. I saw Australia, London, Dublin, Paris twice, New York City three times, and once I took a road trip through the former Eastern Block countries (that trip was kinda depressing, it's mostly slums and broken dreams, I don't recommend it).

I've also done a lot of things nobody else has. I've ridden on the wind, tasted colours, felt sounds, gazed upon the knowledge of the world and watched the birth of time (not our time, another time. Someday I hope you can understand).

I've also done all this without video games, dreaming or psychedelic drugs of any kind. I've merely led the kind of life everyone wishes they could experience.

Still, there are things I've missed. I haven't felt let down. I've never had a broken heart. Nobody has broken my trust. I haven't felt crushing sadness. I've never been bored.
I've never been misunderstood, I've never misunderstood something, nor have I ever felt confused.

My entire life has been one giant good experience, but I've never had a bad one. It's because of this I've never had a great experience, nothing is extraordinary to me, because there's nothing lower with which to compare it.

I don't have any regrets, and yet my entire life is one big regret.

Sometimes it's good to hurt.

David Byrne and Brian Eno - Life is Long

[Thanks to Said the Gramophone for posting this track first. I know I plug that site a lot, but I don't think I do it nearly enough. It's easily the best music blog on the internet, and you should be reading it right now. In case you haven't noticed, it influences me pretty heavily, so...I dunno...just go! Also, you can buy the new David Byrne and Brian Eno album Everything That Happens Will Happen Today directly from David Byrne.]

No comments: