Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Room to Grow

The flames licked at my feet. This I can still remember. I felt like whole city was burning down, instead of just a small field in the middle of nowhere.

I remember being so scared. We were just messing around, playing with matches, lighters, whatever normal ids do. Sure, we knew that it was dangerous, but we never thought anything would happen to us.

We were smarter than that.

But sure enough, a match fell out of my hand, and before I could stomp out the fire, it ignited on the dry grass. The flames spread so fast and quickly grew out of control. I started stomping at the fiery tongues, and called to my friends for some help.

They were gone.

For the first time in my life I remember feeling really alone. It was a new experience. Sure, I had been by myself, but never truly alone.

I was scared.

The wall of fire grew quickly, and the smoke enveloped me. I couldn't see, I couldn't breathe. I imagined being in front of a group of people. The judge had sentenced me to death, and I was tied and awaiting being burned alive. It served me right too.

I deserved this.

I was being so stupid, playing with fire. Everyone told me not to, but I did.

And now I was alone.

I remember blacking out. Or, rather, I remember not remembering blacking out. Regardless, I know it happened. Apparently, luckily, someone had called the fire department. A fireman found me and dragged me to safety, and I was taken to the hospital.

I guess the burns were so severe they weren't sure if I would ever survive. There I lay, attached to tubes and wires and God knows what else. Every passing day my chances of survival were getting lower and lower. The doctors resigned themselves to just waiting to see if I would awake.

I didn't.

The Stills - Everything I Build

[Go get Oceans Will Rise if you like the Stills at all. I might even like it more than Logic Will Break your Heart. Maybe]

1 comment:

DarkAbyssOfLight said...

I'd love to read a song you've written, you seem pretty talented and edgy.